Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Activity.....

I forgot to mention in the previous post that first summer were living here, it was July when my mother was visiting, another strange occurrence happened in the accessory apartment section of the house. This side of the house was normally cooler then any other part of the house. However it was extremely hot in there, hotter then it was even outside. And that July was a very hot July. My mother made mention of this to me, but I didn't think much of it, I just thought "its hot outside, and with little insulation in here thats why its so hot in here". But that night at the end of the summer when everyone was over for a barbecue, someone was in the accessory apartment, I don't remember why. Whoever it was noticed how hot it was and realized the heat it on over there. What???? With the exception of the one thermostat we had replaced in the living room, the other 3 were really old, so in order to keep the heat from coming on during the warm weather, I had to set them all to 40 degrees (the lowest setting). Now it was 90 degrees out - yet the heat was on in this entire section of the house, but both thermostats in the accessory apartment were set to 40. What the heck? Now if we shut the heat off from the basement switch, this also shut off the hot water heater(this house is wired very strangely), the next day we were able to get someone in from our oil/heating service company who found that one of the two thermostats that controlled this portion of the house broke.

It was either early September of 2012 or 2013 (i cannot remember), two of the children were out front with me helping me prep the garden for winter. My oldest son was on his way back from the front of the property when I hear him shout "Mom! Dexter's about to climb onto the roof!!" What????? How???? I look up, and through the tv room skylight I see my little orange cat climbing out onto the roof. How the heck did this cat manage to not only jump high enough to reach the skylight but hold himself up there and claw a hole thru the screen to get out? This darned cat walked the entire roof for two hours, I tried and tried to coax him down, tried bribing him with treats, but he wouldn't come down. Finally I took a can of his cat food, a ladder and from the flatter section of the roof over the kitchen I tricked him into coming to eat. As he ate I was able to get him down, but he was mad, this cat never hisses or claws at me, but this time was different. I don't know how I managed to keep from getting my entire face clawed up. The skylight window I closed, repaired the screen. I tried to reinact how he got thru this skylight several times, I put him in the room, opened the skylight window and hid in the room, watched him jump around in there, watched him jump on the tv which was under the skylight, but even from that he couldn't jump high enough to even reach the framing of the skylight. So how in hell on that day did he do it???

The skylight Dexter climbed through to walk the roof

This could be taken as "its an old house" but so many things were breaking and falling apart one on top of another in this house so fast after we moved in. The first week after we moved in a huge drainage pipe sprung a huge leak, waste water came flooding thru the boiler room and thru the ventilation fan of the adjoining basement bathroom. My husband and one of his co-workers who was a licensed plumber repaired this. In May of 2011 our 3 story chimney collapsed & had to be re-shafted. All the shelving that has collapsed for no true reason, there were doors between the main kitchen and dining room which tended to collapse even if no one was leaning again them. One of my pantry doors has collapsed several times. The original light that was installed in my main floor bathroom was a florescent light, these florescent bulbs normally last a few years, not in this house. We were replacing the bulb every 30-90 days. I finally got tired of spending $20 on a new bulb every month that I replaced the entire fixture myself with one that took regular energy saver bulbs. But even the energy saver bulbs don't last in there. I bought a load of those long last energy saver bulbs right before we moved in, had the same bulb in the lamps and fixtures in every other room of the house for 5 years now. I put the new bathroom light fixture in 2013, I've already replaced each energy save bulb (the fixture takes two bulbs) twice already. I don't know if there's something up with the electricity itself in that room or what, but those bulbs should have lasted at least 5 years each. That winter following the thermostat issue in the accessory apartment side of the house, we had like three days that were extremely cold, it went down to 3 or 4 degrees outside. I was washing dishes in the main kitchen when I noticed the water pressure had gone really low suddenly, I thought it was because I was running the washing machine. But even after the washing machine stopped the water pressure was still very low, and at some point I realized I heard water running even though all the water was off throughout the house. After investigating, I discovered the accessory apartment entry level floor is flooded. I get down there to see where this flood is coming from, I follow a trail of HOT water to one of the entry doors and get sprayed with extremely hot water. One of the copper heating pipes froze and burst despite the heat being kept on in this side of the house. The repair for this was even more disastrous hell. My husband had to removed a chunk of the wall, because the pipe cracked in several spots. The heat in this side of the house had to be shut down completely in order to prevent more flooding and more pipes from bursting. It wasn't until the spring of 2013 that it was able to be fixed & turned back on - but that winter it happened again, in multiple pipes throughout the accessory apartment main entry floor. My husband replaced tons of copper piping, but no matter how much he replaces and repairs it just keeps happening. Most of these things I do contribute to freak accidents & lousy set up of everything, but so many things continuously break or fall apart since we've been here, its really like "what the hell". Even furniture falls apart quicker here then it has anywhere else I've lived.

In the fall of 2013 I decided the boys needed a more spacious bedroom. And I began moving them to that third story room, the room my mother had her nightmarish experience in, the same room my husband refused to ever sleep in again. Originally this room was supposed to have become a master bedroom for my husband and I but I thought it might work better for the boys since right below was the tv room where they could come in the mornings to watch a dvd or play on their Wii. And the children really hadn't taken notice of these strange occurrences everyone else who had been here had. With the exception of the busted pipes, the boys were fine on that side of the house when they both slept in there. By this time I had already moved my daughter to the boys old room because it was much larger then her original tiny room. So when the pipes burst again and I had to move the boys back to the main side of the house, they took her old room for the winter. The following spring they did move back to their larger room. But the boys were constantly fighting, and with my oldest headed into middle school my husband and I decided he needed his own bedroom. So one day I painted my daughters old room, and moved my middle son into that bedroom. So now all three kids had their own rooms. All would have been fine, but now my oldest started having experiences in his big bedroom at the top of the accessory apartment. One morning he told me he thought robbers were trying to get into his room through the window. He saw from his window what looked like the shadow of a man climbing into his bedroom window, but didn't hear any sounds at all. His bedroom is on the third story of the house - there's no way someone would have bothered to climb that high - and there's no way if someone was that nuts to do such a thing would it be a silent climb. He complained of this several times, and each time I told him he's imagining things. One weekend my daughter camped out in his bedroom. She slept on an air mattress facing this window. The next day she told me she saw the same thing my son had been seeing. It looked like a man was trying to climb in through that window. I decided that perhaps its just shadows cast by a large light coming from some stores around the corner onto all the tall trees. Another time my daughter camped out in that room with my son, she faced the opposite way, in her view was that closet that connects to the walk in attic. She told me the next morning it looked like a dark figure that looked like a man was walking into and out of the closet, but not through the door, but through the wall next to the door instead. Many times I have tried to convince her and my son that its just their imaginations playing tricks on them, shadows coming in through the windows, and so on. This helps to ease their minds, the only thing that has eased my mind is knowing that despite all the crazy things that have happened here has not truly physically harmed us.

I just found this photo, I forgot I even taken it. It was that day my sister in law and I caught my daughter talking to the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment